Friday, February 15, 2008

Want to be a Detroit Tiger?

Yesterday I was listening to WDFN 1130 The Fan during Stoney and Wojo and they were talking to a Tigers guy, not sure who, but he said the Tigers were holding "open tryouts." So, I did some research on the Tigers website and here is what I found:


Tigers to hold open tryouts
02/12/2008 10:46 AM ET

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

DETROIT -- The Tigers will hold an open tryout camp at their Spring Training complex in Lakeland, Fla., on Tuesday, March 4.
The tryout at Joker Marchant Stadium is open to players age 18 and older, with no pre-registration and participation fee necessary. Interested athletes must simply provide their own glove and workout equipment; wooden bats, helmets and baseballs will be provided by the Tigers.

Time to put up or shut up.

I've always wondered about tryouts for professional teams, a la "Invincible" but never understood how it was done. Especially for cold weather baseball teams like Detroit. Why would they wait until May to hold tryouts once the season has begun? I didn't realize they would do it during spring training. I guess that makes more sense.

2 comments:

Stack said...

That's pretty cool. So that would give a person a what, one in a million chance to make the team?

Ump said...

So you're telling me there's a chance.