Thursday, February 21, 2008

Never Go Back

Here's a bit of a speech by Michelle Obama, wife of Barack Obama, at UCLA, from Jim Geraghty of The Campaign Spot at NRO:

Barack Obama will require you to work. He is going to demand that you shed your cynicism. That you put down your divisions. That you come out of your isolation, that you move out of your comfort zones. That you push yourselves to be better. And that you engage. Barack will never allow you to go back to your lives as usual, uninvolved, uninformed.

That's a little scary. Require? Demand? Never allow? Excuse me, but I like my darn comfort zone, and no presidential candidate has any business telling me what I should do with it. The older I get, the more politics for me boils down to this: "Leave me alone." There's a word, which I don't use lightly, for what Mrs. Obama is describing: fascism. If you're confused, check out this book.

No comments: