Sunday, February 17, 2008

I Want One

I'm not usually much for tools. I appreciate them, but since I haven't really had the need to do any woodworking in quite some time I don't find myself wanting any very badly. However, I just saw the CompuCarve Woodworking Machine from Craftsman advertised on TV and I definitely want one. It's basically a small CNC mill that can be used on wood and some plastics. It looks like it would allow you to make some fairly intricate designs that would be far beyond most of our capabilites with hand tools. It definitely doesn't look like the Haas lathe of woodworking equipment.*

*This joke requires explanation. Quite a while ago at work we bought a new machine, a Haas lathe. For various reasons the machine didn't perform as expected until months of tweaking and addition of some extra parts. In this time, being called the "Haas lathe of ____" became a common and particularly stinging insult.

No comments: