Monday, February 25, 2008

How about never...jerk

That title is taken from one of Jim Rome's popular resets of salesmen who come to his house (or call his office) and knock on his door trying to sell a product.

Rome: "Thanks a lot man, but I'm just not interested."

Salesman: "...I'll tell you what. I'll come back next week. Which day is best for you, Tuesday or Wednesday?"

Rome: "Um...how about NEVER, jerk. I don't want it. Get out."

Which leads me to share with you a moment in the life of a college student taking Math 304 Probability and Statistics from SVSU. Here is a little background. The professor is easily 70 years old. I don't know if he's 75, but Joe Pa could run circles around this goof. He certainly knows math, but doesn't know how to teach it. He just knows it. He can do it, but not show us how to. Basically he fits the model to a T of what I've been told about the math department at SVSU before taking any classes there. "The instructors are geniuses, but don't have a clue of how to teach it. They just expect you to get it." He's constantly being corrected by other classmates and always loses his place. I really don't find him boring because I kinda like the thought of probability scenarios. But, he makes it a ton more difficult in his teaching strategy.

Oh, he also has absolutely no clue of time managment. Class is supposed to be finished at 12:50 and at 12:51 he's still rolling like he's got 2 more hours of material to cover. You remember how it is. At 12:45, everyone pretty much starts making that "class is over" noise. The sound of books closing, bags unzipping, putting notebooks away, putting coats on, etc. Just to give the instructor the hint in case they're in the zone and didn't notice the time. Well, this cat just keeps going. In fact, numerous times someone has had to say, "can we just save this until next class?" Then Tyler, the instructor, responds, "well, if you have to go, go ahead. But, if you don't have anywhere to go, just stay for another 5-10 minutes and we'll be done."

We've also had 2 classes canceled due to the weather. And Wednesday is our last class before spring break (next week) and we still haven't had a test in the class.

The following is an unoffical transcript (but pretty accurate) of what took place as class was starting today:

Tyler: I want to check something. Did everybody get what I sent out?

Classmates: I didn't. No. Nope. I didn't either...etc.

Tyler: Well, I wanted to send out a poll to find out what would work best to make up those 2 classes we had canceled; a Friday evening, a Saturday, or a Sunday.

Nathan: (Thinking about what Jim Rome would say and also how Anti-Guza this teacher was) Um, how about never.

I'll leave you hangin' with that picture. I have more about this instructor and I'll tie it in with another timewaster that was showed to me by Mandy Ross.

1 comment:

Stack said...

I think it's something about college math professors. Most of my professors weren't very good at teaching. Of course, they weren't all that good at speaking English either, so who could tell?