Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Homage to Dominance

There isn't enough space in space to cover this topic. Our grandparents talk about, our dads talk about it, we talk about it, our kids will talk about it and our grandkids will all have this same discussion in their period of life. It's never ending and...quite fun. In lieu of this past weekends sporting events, I thought I'd throw out a few questions and open up the flood gates to theory, philosophy, etc. of what team and individual sport is hardest to dominate. I realize this type of discussion was on every sports radio channel yesterday and every sports talkshow, but who cares. However, first I want to throw a few thoughts of my own before getting to the meat and potatoes:

Barbaro: Come on people, it's a freakin' horse! Enough already. If I hear or read the bottom ticker one more time giving me a Barbaro update, well, I don't know what I'll do. A freaking horse? I want you to know, I was thinking this before yesterday's tragic events took place.

Serena Williams: I have no idea if I spelled her name right, which leads me to this statement. I could care less about tennis, let alone any women's sport for that matter. However, I was tired of hearing people like Dick Vitale on Mike and Mike explain how incredible it was for the 935rd ranked player in tennis to win the Austrailian Open. Okay, she was ranked 82nd. Anyway, she's still Serena Freakin' Williams in case you forgot. She dominated before her injury and now has come back to dominate again. I don't know how much more I can empathsize she is still Serena Williams. Maria Sharapova only became Maria Sharapova because she didn't have to play Serena, oh and she's kinda attractive. I guess that gets extra attention by the media. It would be like Tiger Woods taking off a year, coming back, and then winning the Masters and "shocking" everyone. He's Tiger Woods!

Ok, now that I have all that off my chest, let's open up the discussion of what happened this weekend: Roger Federer and Tiger Woods continuing their streaks. I'm not going into what those streaks are, because if you don't know, grow a pair. Again, I don't care about Tennis, but 36 consecutive sets won is dang impressive. That would be like winning 24 straight quarters in Football. Not just winning 6 NFL games in a row, but every quarter for all 6 games. So, what Dominance is more impressive, Tiger's streak or Federer's? Is it possible to look at two individual sports that are differents types of competition?

And this Domination topic can go way outside the box if you want. We can break down Harry Potter's Domination in books. We can compare the hotdog eating guy Kobyashi's food comsumption domination. We can analyze all the great sports of badminton, frisby golf, Red Neck Racing...the list goes on and on.

We can even look at the overall dominators of their sport. For instance:

Car Racing: Michael Shumacher
Boxing: Mike Tyson, Ali
Hockey: Wayne Gretzky
Basketball: Jordan
Basketball Teams: Celtics, Bulls
Football Teams: Bills for 4 SB's in a row, 49ers
Football: Joe Montana
Baseball Teams: Braves - 14 straight Division Titles
Ping-Pong:
Billiards: Janet Lee
Bowling: That Weber guy

We can even look at individual time periods and look at who dominated their sport in that era:

2000's: Tiger, Shaq, Tom Brady, LaDainian Tomlinson,
1990's: Jordan, Gretzky, Sampras, Barry Sanders,
1980's: Bird, Montana, Rice, Gretzky, Marino,
1970's: ???

Let's pay respect to what is happening in our lifetime in these sports. Have fun and enjoy. Let the discussion begin.

3 comments:

andy said...

Magnús Ver Magnússon, 4 time world's strongest man, three years consecutive from 94-96.


Also my sister, Ashleigh, undefeated in Wii Sports Boxing against human opponents.

Ump said...

I forgot a few more.

Michael Jordan - 3 time NBA slam dunk champion

The Lion: Current and undisputed King of the Jungle

Big Daddy said...

Patriots wideout Rasheed Caudwell or Rashe Caulwell (whatever his name is, you know who I'm talken about: World Record for biggest eyeballs