Thursday, February 01, 2007

Super Bow(l) Thesis

This weekend is the Super Bowl or Super "Bow" (like a bow tie) depending on who you listen to on the radio or TV. I didn't think it was that difficult to pronounce the "l" at the end of "bowl." When they go bowling, do they say "Let's do some bowing tonight"? Come on people, speak english. It's BOWLLLLLL, not "bow."

Also, with the Super Bow in Miami, do U think Michael Irvin will say anything about the game being played at the U of Miami and how awesome the U is and that U should all know by now the U is the best college football team in America or U must be an idiot. U better watch out for the U in 2007.

In the spirit of the big game this weekend, I thought I would put on a Super Bowl History Course. Here is the curriculum:

SB History 101: On January 26, 1992 the Washington Redskins won Super Bowl XXVI (26) by defeating the Buffalo Bills 37 to 24.

SB History 201: Think back to September 1991. In Week 1, the Detroit Lions played their first game of the year at the Washington Redskins and were pasted 45-0.

SB History 301: Now think forward to January 1992. The Detroit Lions finished 12-4. After receiving a first round bye, they destroyed the Dallas Cowboys to advance to the NFC Championship game against the Washington Redskins. Once again it was at Washington and once again they got thumped.

So far most of you remember all of this to some degree if you are a Lions and/or NFL fan. This is where the Master's curriculum starts.

SB History 401: Think back to Week 17 of the 1991 season. Detroit at Buffalo. The game went to overtime with a score of 14-14. All I remember is Eddie Murray kicking the game winning FG in OT to beat the Bills 17-14.

I may have lost a few of you, depending on your memory bank. If you are still hanging with me, here is where you get your Doctorate.

SB History 501: Let's pretend for one brief, hypothetical moment that the Lions defeated the Redskins in the NFC Championship game. Do you see where I'm going with this? It's the always fun "What If" game. That would mean the Lions would have matched up in the Super Bowl with the Buffalo Bills. A rematch from the season finale. The Lions proved they could beat the Bills in Buffalo. So, theoretically speaking, IF the Lions would have made it to the Super Bowl, they would have beat the Bills again and become the Super Bowl Champions!

I hope you enjoyed the pursuit of this degree. Your diploma will be in the mail shortly.


I just wanted to add that the tournament Tiger Woods won last weekend was played at Torrey Pines in San Diego, California. I played that course almost 5 or 6 years ago to the month. I didn't quite shoot the same score Tiger finished with on the North Course. I tried looking for my scorecard but couldn't find it. I'll try harder later. If I find it, I'll post my embarrassment.

No comments: