Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Who Needs Tickets?

Yeah, it's almost that time of year again. That's right, the Cass City Baseball Trip Excutive Board Meeting. Baseball game tickets are going on sale as we speak with new teams opening up their box offices everyday. (Tigers individual tickets go on sale March 3.) Some years I already ordered the tickets by now.

It seems after 7 years of Baseball trip "Roadies," we are almost to our driving limits or flying minimums. Rumor has it the Yankees will be hosting the All-Star game in 2008 and after the 2008 season will be playing in a new ball park. No more Yankee Stadium. So, it has been mentioned we better make sure we get to New York for our 2008 Road Trip.

With that being said, there is no 2008 trip without a 2007 trip first...which is exactly our current dilemma. Where? Who? I believe now would be a good time to start throwing out the ideas of what we are going to do or any possible options.

Here is my list of options:

1) Toronto. Toronto would be one game and one of the shortest drives we've ever had. It would also be a very cheap trip if it's only one game. Not as cheap as last year with no hotel fees, but still cheaper than other years with less gas money.

2) Two game series watching 2 of the possible 3 teams (if their game schedules actually work out so we could do this) in the Maryland/Pennsylvania area: Baltimore Orioles, Washington Nationals and the Philadelphia Phillies. Cons: Long trip and cost of 2 games. Not much time would probably be available to see much of the D.C. area.

3) Go back to a stadium we've already been to. If we did Wrigley Field, we might get to stay for the whole game this time. Pros: It would be a lot closer/cheaper for Adam to come on the trip.

4) KC Royals...they suck and probably as far as a Baltimore trip.

5) Fly. I still don't think we are financially at that point yet. If we are going to fly, let's go as far as we can; California, Arizona, etc. If we do New York next year, I think Flying would be the best way to go.

6) No Trip. Not an option

Not that this is all about Adam...but it is. It's really his fault for moving to Minnesota just for a job. Obviously my tongue is shooting through both cheeks when I say that. But, I don't know Adam's options. He's already taking time off for my wedding. He already flew home once this year for Christmas. Making him drive to Michigan so we can then drive to some game 10 hours away probably isn't a great idea either.

I'm not really in favor of Options 4, 5, or 6. I don't mind doing the Washington trip for 2 games, but logistics would make things difficult I think.

I guess it comes down to what is our goal? Our purpose? Do we plan on doing this for another 5 years? 10? Until we see all MLB stadiums? It all sounds great, but we have to be reasonable. If those aren't our goals, then when and where do we draw the line? According to my calculations, this would be trip #8. We are dang close to 10 and we've all been talking about New York long before the media started talking about Hilary Clinton running for President in '08.

If we do New York in 2008, that is trip #9. I think it would be cool to fly some place for our 10th Anniversary in 2009 and quite possibly seeing our 14th and 15th stadiums in 10 years.

The Board is open so have a take and don't suck.

6 comments:

Stack said...

I like the idea of planning ahead for some big trips. Even if it ends up costing more the hit would be easier to take if we had a year to plan/save. That would probably mean trying to save money this year. I think that would take #2 out. That leaves us with #1 or #3. I don't know how I would work #1 if that's what people wanted to do. Not saying I can't, I'm just not sure how I'd tackle it. So, I guess I'm saying #3 works best for me, assuming that it's Wrigley. I don't think you guys want to take another trip to Milwaukee, and I'm sure no one wants to go back to the Metrodome and its wonderful fans. Thoughts?

Ump said...

The more I think about going back to Wrigley, the more it starts to grow on me. I thinking making a trip back to Chicago is good for many reasons:

1) It was our first trip. We didn't exactly have the best laid plans in place as amature baseball trip takers.

2) Everything was rush rush rush. We had absolutely no money or time to do anything...not even get a hotel without bullet holes in the walls. But, we had an ironing board!

3) Make it a minimum 3 day trip instead of driving over on Saturday and coming back the next day or at 5 am.

4) It's probably what's really best for the group...financially and ease.

If we are "re-doing" a previous baseball trip, the money saved may allow us to treat ourselves to a bigger trip in the future...and help stomach the fact it will cost a fortune.

Ump said...

A new option has been brought up by Fritz and Ross. We could take a trip to St. Louis because now they have a new stadium. The NEW Busch Stadium. (Real clever.) Then talking out of their buttholes they said we could hit Kansas City while were at it. I guess if Adam wants to meet us someplace and we pick him up, I'm all for it.

Anonymous said...

Hate to burst any bubbles but one crazy pregnant women reading posts would like to add an opinion for her nonposting husband. Baby is due end of August first part of Sept, I don't really care were you go more that there is an easy route to get home fast. Or go earlier in the summer. Okay hate me all you want I just had to put it out there

Anonymous said...

We hate you.

Stack said...

Hmmm, that sounds awfully reasonable for a crazy pregnant woman.