Friday, January 26, 2007

Applying "Calculus"

Well, the timing was finally perfect...and I delivered. Jokes are all about delivery and timing. I've been waiting to "apply" this for a long long time. It finally had it's chance to shine once again. (Although there are many times the phrase could do the trick.) There are close to 30 people in the class and I'd say after everyone had 2 seconds to think about it, everyone chuckled.

Instructor: So, what are you going to do if you see a question like this on the test?

Nathan: (Applying the 3 second rule before answering) Close the book.

(Class laughing...after realizing what has just been said)

Instructor: (Acting as if no one could make fun of calculus) Well, this would be a test so you wouldn't actually have a book open to close.

I realize I could not have done that phrase without Adam's spirit living through me. And yes, I understand the phrase doesn't quite make sense if you aren't allowed to use a book on the test, but it still did the trick and the class loved it.

1 comment:

Stack said...

Wow, just imagine if you'd actually learned Calculus in Guza's class too. Seriously though, that's a great joke that seldom finds an opportunity to be used. Good job.