Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Super Bowl Pick

With this weekends conference championship games, my selection for the NFC representative in the Super Bowl is the New Orleans Saints. I'm actually not picking them to win, I WANT them to win. Why? I'll give you a moment.
.
..
...
It involves the Lions....
.....

I want the Lions, out of bitterness, to be the last NFL team to ever reach the Super Bowl.

Here is where I need your help. If the Saints make the Super Bowl, that eliminates one more team that still hasn't played in the Title game, which still leaves the Lions as one of those teams. I know the Lions will make it some day. I'm just thankful they didn't make the Super Bowl prior to 1987, because I would have been too young or cognizant to realize what the SB was all about and that the Lions had accomplished such an amazing feat. I wouldn't have cared about football, Lions, etc. at that age. Since it's already been 41 Super Bowls, if the Lions had made the SB in 1987, I really don't feel like waiting another 41+ years to see if they make it to another SB.

So here is the contest:

Name the teams still remaining that haven't ever played in the Super Bowl.

I already gave you two. And I'm not sure if it's even fair to count the "recent" expansion teams, even though it's been almost 15 years. Then again, that was plenty of time to reach a SB for one of them. I don't have the answers, so good luck.

2 comments:

Stack said...

I know the Texans off the top of my head. I think the Cardinals would fall in that category as well. Jags too. I'll have to think about the rest.

Ump said...

1. Detroit Lions
2. NO Saints
3. Houston Texans
4. Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals
5. Jacksonville Jaguars
6. Cleveland Browns
7. ?

I believe there are a total of 6. But I get a little shaky on some things. The Houston Oilers became the Tennessee Titans, which made it to SB 34. The Cleveland Browns became the Baltimore Ravens and won a SB. But then another Cleveland Browns team was created a couple of years ago.

I'd say if there are currently only 6 remaining, chances are good it will be down to 5 in one more week. Go Saints.

But after that...it could be awhile before another team is crossed off. The Jag's are the closest in my opinion but play in an unbelievably difficult conference.

The weird part is the Lions were probably the closest of all remaining teams. They've at least made it to the Conference Championship...once.