Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Tired

Brett Favre retired today after contemplating it for the past few years. He left a voice message with ESPN's Chris Mortensen saying:

I know I can still play, but it's like I told my wife, I'm just tired mentally. I'm just tired.

No wonder, considering he played in 275 consecutive games. I'm sure this will be debated constantly over the next few days, but I think you have to put Favre right up there with the best to play the game. I watched Montana, Elway, and Marino play, but not the way I saw Favre play. I saw flashes of brilliance from the others (Elway spinning through the air into the end zone in the Super Bowl comes to mind), but I know more about their greatness from sports writers and commentators constantly talking about it. With Favre, it comes from seeing at least 8 games a year for as long as I've been paying any real attention to football, and all of the images that are burned into my memory. For example, have you ever seen a more amazing performance by a QB than Favre against the Raiders on Monday Night Football just afte his father passed away? That's the stuff legends are made of. Congratulations to Favre on an amazing career.

No comments: