Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Sports Logos

A few weeks ago I was thinking about the Pistons and their team logo from the 80's. Then I remembered that ridiculous marketing stunt they tried in the mid-90's and how Joey D got them back to the original once he started running the show. I like Joey's attitude: The Piston logo is just as untouchable as the Detroit Tiger "D." You just don't mess with it.

Then it dawned on me: What sports logos are "untouchable?" What logos, no matter how bad the team, would you never tweak. A few came to mind:

1. Chicago Bulls
2. Boston Celtics
3. LA Lakers
4. Detroit Tigers
5. Boston Red Sox
6. New York Yankees
7. Detroit Red Wings

6 comments:

Stack said...

Great topic. I know from the various discussions I've seen the the Old English "D" and the Yankees' NY logo are considered to be at the top of the list, messing with them is sports heresy. I'll have more to say later.

Ump said...

I forgot about the NFL:
8. Green Bay Packers
9. Chicago Bears
10. Detroit Lions
11. Dallas Cowboys
12. Pittsburgh Steelers
13. Oakland Raiders
14. Kansas City Chiefs
15. Indy Colts
16. SD Chargers (the 'Bolt)
17. Browns

Man, is it just me or does it seem like the NFL doesn't mess with their logos as much. I could name almost any team and can't remember the logo looking any different...except the Patriots.

Stack said...

Now that I've thought about it, didn't Dumars actually leave the logos the same and go back to the original colors? I don't see the old school logo on the uniforms currently.

Ump said...

You could be right. Here is what I remember. Grant Hill comes to town and after a year or two, the logo changes and the colors become teal and reddish/orange and a little black(?). When the "Bad Boys" played, the logo on center court was I believe a red basketball with Pistons or Detroit Pistons written on it. But when it changed, so did the design at center court, obviously.

But now I think the logo on cernter court is back to the original. I don't know. It all just blends.

Stack said...

I don't watch many games, so I couldn't say. Make no mistake though, I definitely believe that red, white, and blue is far superior to the very '90s teal.

Ump said...

Yup, and maybe that's the bottom line with Dumars. Getting back to championship contention and the ol' red, white, and blue.