Thursday, March 06, 2008

R.I.P. Favre

What a sad week of sports news to hear Brett Favre has died at such a young age. It seems like it's been 24-hour coverage of his unfortunate passing on ESPN. What a tragic story.

Hey, did Favre just retire on Tuesday morning? It seems like I heard that somewhere, but I didn't know if it was true. I've been living under a rock since Tuesday morning, but yet the rock even knew Favre had retired. Weird.

Seriously ESPN, get a grip on yourself. You're covering his retirement story like the man has just died. I don't even get Sportscenter or ESPN, yet somehow you've covered this story so heavily, my TV couldn't fight the airwaves and ESPN managed to come through my television. You've been talking about it so much, even I have to hear about it on my own TV. Well, not really, but you get the point.

Is anyone else getting sick of all the pub on this? I really don't think overkill is the way to cover it. I don't need interviews of the 3rd string quarterback on the 1993 team asked, "Did you see this coming?" No one cares if a guy who used to live on the same street as Favre growing up, but was actually older than Favre so they never really lived on the same street at the same time, no one wants to hear him answer "So why do you think he retired?" Enough already.

I was listening to Rome yesterday and he interviewed the Packer head coach (forgot his name). Anyway, there were two questions he completely bombed: 1. "If Favre were to come out of retirement, would you take him back?" 2. "If the organization wanted Farve to keep playing, why is Favre's agent saying they didn't want him?"

By the way, I just retired on Tuesday as well, but no one cared about me.

Sincerely,
Warren Sapp

2 comments:

Stack said...

I think that might have been your best post ever. "I've been living under a rock since Tuesday morning, but yet the rock even knew Favre had retired." Awesome.

I've only watched PTI the past few days, so my intake of Favre-related coverage has been tolerable, but it was pretty obvious ESPN (and others) would overdo this. Favre was great, but he only played football.

I can't wait for Sapp and Favre to go into the HOF on the same day. That will be cool.

Ump said...

With all due respect, I'm bummed he's done. What a pros pro. He played like he actually loved the game. He played the game like he was the fan sitting in the stands saying, "If I was a football player, I'd play every snap like it was my last." I know that is an old bit and not really fair to think every professional athlete should be expected to take the field every time like it could be his last, but yet I think Favre did.

I know that might sound like more man-love to Brett Favre than John Madden, but come on, Favre really did respect the game. I don't think anyone ever doubted his heart or that he wasn't going "balls out" every play...well, except for that "sack" by Michael Strahan.

Probably what sticks with me the most or what I enjoyed most about Favre was his passion, emotion, and enthusiasm during the game. (High fivin' the referees after TD passes.) Tiger Woods' fist pump has nothing on Favre's.

Looking back, that post didn't suck. But I forgot one more piece and that was to say John Madden must have called in sick all week or nearly committed suicide after hearing the Favre news. I don't know what Madden loved more, food or Favre.

I think we need a new thread: what professional athletes play like they are a true "kid" or that any play could be their last?

1. Brett Favre
2. Roger Clemens
3. Jordan?
4. Jeter?
5. Tiger?