Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Professional Sports Food Per Diem

A few weeks ago I was listening to "The Herd" on ESPN radio on my way to SVSU. The topic of conversation was that the host was going to be traveling over the next few days and ESPN was only going to be paying $48 per day for food. Since he was going to be in Houston, NY, and some other expensive city, his complaint was "how in the world will I be able to eat three meals off of $48 in cities like NY?" That led to his discussion on what NBA and MLB guys get per diem.

MLB gets $84 and the NBA gets $107 per diem for food. Wow. That is unbelievable and I now hate professional athletes even more. Do pro athletes really need to be eating at expensive restaurants for EVERY meal? You would think that $9 million a year contract you have would be able to cover your eating expenses. Let me get this straight: When I see a guy sign a fat contract of $50 million over 5 years, that doesn't include the money he will be paid for food? Ludicrous. I hate you.

Come to think of it, I remember one of the "Big 4" recently restructoring some issues in the players union and it seemed like they were bargining for $3/day for food.

I've actually tried to figure out how much it cost me on a normal day to eat:
Breakfast: 1 bowl of cereal (milk and cereal) ~ $1.25
Lunch: 1 turkey sandwich (2 slices of bread, little mayonnaise, turkey) ~ $1.50
Dinner: Probably on average < $3.00

Grand total: $5.75. Just to be safe, a flat $6.00 for 3 meals/day.

1 comment:

Stack said...

I don't know if I could spend $107 a day on food. I don't spend that much in a week.