Sunday, November 26, 2006

Wiiiii!

I picked up the new nintendo last Sunday morning (only waited about an hour and a half) and took it home for Thanksgiving. I'll get around to a full write-up one of these days, but for the moment I'll run down a few impressions.

Everyone (brother-in-law, sisters, dad [mom didn't try...yet]) could pick up the controler and play Wii Sports. Fun was had by all.

If they can get the responsiveness down, a good boxing game could be one of the coolest things ever. The Wii Sports boxing is the only game in the compilation that does not function well. The ontrols are very nearly broken and its still fun to play. Ashleigh picked it right up and wasted the computer in the first round. I feared for the tv's safety. When we got a second controller (which are too expensive, but there are no third party ones yet, and when there are they won't be any good. They couldn't even copy analog sticks right, how will they do accelerometers?) she knocked me out. (her character got off the mat twice, mine...not so much.)

Zelda rocks. Controls well, especially considering it was originally a gamecube game. Combat is deeper than previos entries in the series. Its also huge. Not Morrowind huge, but whats there serves a purpose. Very few frustrating points, which is a big deal in a game like this. Excellent design all around (as it should be, it was originaly going to release LAST November). Not wild about the character designs on some of the side characters and the attempts at comic relief would not have been missed, but nothing is perfect.

No problems with the controllers. Some clever person thought to have them shut off when the system does, preventing super-scope like battery drains. Wii all thank you.

I will milk Wii related puns for all they are worth, its Nintendo's fault for choosing such a lousy name.

Sorry for the stream-of-consciousness post.

1 comment:

Ump said...

Sounds awesome...and I'm poor.

P.s. For the first part of the post, I thought Adam was the one that bought the Wi and was home for Thanksgiving. Then I was mad and my eyes scrolled over the words but didn't pick up anything. Then I realized, "oh yeah, he has a brother. Andy. Maybe he was the one that went home." Then I wasn't mad anymore that I missed Adam's presence.