Saturday, November 25, 2006

FSU v Florida: 10 Years Later

Lest you forgot, the 1996 state of Florida showdown consisted of #1 Florida at #2 Florida State. FSU won that game 24-21. That was the year Steve Spurrier put on his politician uniform and complained about the officiating. He claimed his QB Danny Wuerffel was taking late hits and no penalties were called. Well, the Ole Ball Coach got what he wanted. A rematch for the National Championship and a bunch of Florida lovin' refs who protected the QB on every touch of a FSU defensive player. Needless to say, Florida went on to win the Championship.

So, the precedent has been set. It's been done before. A rematch with a rival. However, those two teams were interconference rivals.

Again, I got what I wanted. A game that lived up to the hype last Saturday and finally a game that proves just because you lose doesn't mean you always have to drop in the polls. It took guts to vote for a defensive player for the Heisman in 1997. It's going to take guts and luck for a National Championship rematch in 2006.


Heisman Race:

I forgot to put in my vote last post: Troy Smith clinched the deal against Michigan.


GM of the Week:

Matt Millen, eat your heart out. For those of you Fantasy geeks, last Friday was the trade deadline for any fantasy football wheels and deals. I wouldn't exactly call myself a genius at making great trades, but I put my neck on the line and (so far) came out on top.

In one of my leagues I had to do the random order draft at Adam's appartment. It is a 12 team league and I got "screwed" with the 12th pick. The top 4 teams go to the playoffs. Well, up until two weeks ago my record was 7-0-2 (they are anti-fractional points, however I probably would have lost if they used the fractional points). But I'm still in first place. Well, one of the key players keeping me in first place was Mr. Donovan McNabb. As the deadline approached, I knew I no longer needed a two QB package. Who was my 2nd QB? Up and coming Philip Rivers. With no more byes, I didn't need both.

I put out a trade offer on McNabb in return for Chester Taylor. I think I did alright in that trade. He'll probably never trade with me again, especially since he didn't really need McNabb with Tony Freakin' Romo on his roster.

McNabb: 78 yards, 1 INT, 1 torn ACL = 1 point and done for season.
Taylor: 80 yards, 2 TD = 16 points


In my other league, it is also 12 teams and the top 8 teams make it to the playoffs. I'm not sitting nearly as pretty, somewhere in the 6 or 7 hole. I had just taken on the 10-0 team (my future brother-in-law) and was only down 18 points with Eli Manning and Muhsin Muhammad in the Sunday Night Football game between the Bears and Giants. Muhammad was the man and got me 14 points. 5 points from Eli shouldn't be asking much. (Keep in mind, the scoring is 40 passing yards per 1 point.) Basically 1 TD should seal the deal. No. Manning sucked. He got me -3 points. Needless to say I declared Eli would never see another snap on my team and put my money where my mouth was. However, I didn't have a back up QB. So, I traded Eli and Muhammad for Carson Palmer.

Eli: 230 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT = 7 points
Muhammad: 29 yards = 1 point

Palmer: 275 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT = 22 points.

I think I did pretty well there.


In another trade, someone offered me a TE and Jamal Lewis for Deuce McAllister. He offered me a TE because Tony Gonzalez just got injured. But, I have Colston, so I don't need a TE. (I got Deuce in week 4 along with Muhsin Muhammad in a trade for Willis McGahee. I think I did alright there too.) In this last trade involving Deuce, I countered his offer to get a WR instead of a TE because I didn't need a TE with Colston usable in that position. So I got Patrick Crayton from Dallas. I thought Terry Glenn was still injured, so that wasn't a good WR to go after. Anyway, here are Sunday's stats:

Deuce: 40 yards rushing, 29 yards receiving = 3 points.

Lewis: 91 yards, 3 TD's = 25 points
Crayton: 6 yards = 0 points

Keep in mind, I was given heck for trading Deuce: "He's got more TD's than my 3 RB's combined. What are you thinking?"

So, in one week in that league, I picked up 25 points from Lewis and 22 from Palmer. That's 47 points. How did I end up? Well, my team sucked and only managed 54 total...and lost by 9. Thanks.

2 comments:

Stack said...

Good job on the fantasy moves. As for precedent for a rematch between #1 & #2, I'd say that only sort of counts. First, being in two different conferences counts for a lot; it makes the game seem more "fair" to those who aren't involved. Second, that was pre-BCS and the Sugar Bowl would have been hosting the ACC champ vs. the SEC champ, so it was only by coincidence that the two matched up again. But it might count for something.

Ump said...

Good point on the requirements of the Sugar Bowl. I forgot the bowls were always conference specific and the rankings really had nothing to do with it. But looking back 10 years later, wow, how did they get so lucky for the planets to line up and get a rematch of the #1 and #2 in a bowl?