Friday, April 23, 2010

New Uniforms

MSU unveiled its new "brand and identity" program today; you can see all the photos here. The basketball uniforms don't look to have changed much, so this is all about the new football uniforms:


A few thoughts:

1. I don't love the new font, but I think I like it on the numbers. It's only okay on the lettering.

2. I miss the all-white uniforms. They really should have these available.

3. I do like the overall design of the green shoulder/white shoulder uniforms. In fact, I drew a concept that was fairly similar back in '03:


4. All of the uniforms should have shoulder numbers.

5. I miss the "State" wordmark.

6. There's green stripes on the side/back of the pants that are pretty lame, but I don't think Nike can make a football uniform without random stripes these days.

7. These are definitely better than the '02 "gladiator" uniforms.

8. Good call on not using green pants.

9. I am afraid that this is going to start MSU on a cycle of changing uniforms every few years. These are nice enough, but not so great that I expect them to be around in ten years.

2 comments:

Stack said...

Some people are complaining about "gold" trim around the numbers. I'm 99% sure that's silver and that it looks a little off in the photos. If they were to use gold, I'd take back everything positive I said. But that would be stupid, so I'm sure it's silver.

Stack said...

So I was wrong, apparently they photograph funny because the color is bronze. Not a fan.