Wednesday, April 28, 2010

"Netflix!"

Let me tell you a story.

Not all that long ago, Hollywood executives saw that DVD sales were dropping, so they were making less money. Straining their pea-size brains they cast about for an answer. The fact that they were making horrendous movies that no one would want to buy was quickly passed over. "Netflix!" they cried. Netflix and its competitors must be stopping those dopey consumers (that's us) from buying DVDs. So they hatched a plan to delay the release of many of the major films to the various rental services and punish them if they bought copies elsewhere, assuming the dopey consumer (us again) would buy more crappy movies on DVD because we just couldn't wait a few extra weeks to see them. Sherlock Holmes was one of those movies.

So, four weeks later, I have Sherlock Holmes at home (Quick review: Good, not great, surprisingly British.). The disc proceeds to show at least 10 previews for new movies or DVD releases. All unskippable. Probably 10 minutes of time, possibly more. Of course you can still fast forward at 64x, so it goes by quickly, but that time is still wasted. Now my first response is to unleash a gang of hungry badgers on the executives of Warner Home Video, but I don't have the time to catch badgers. I could swear of buying Warner Home Video products, but it's not like I was going to buy Ghosts of Girlfriends Past. So instead, the next time I think about buying a DVD, I'll think back to those 20 seconds wasted while waiting to start Holmes, and I'll do what I did then: Skip it.

2 comments:

Stack said...

Forgot one thing: the movie needed more bronze.

Ump said...

I went to Holmes without much expectations except to enjoy Downey. I came out pleasantly surprised by the movie. I liked it, probably because I didn't know what to expect or I at least wasn't expecting it to be the best movie ever.

I was also surprised how little profanity was used in the movie. I actually had to go to IMDB to check if I just was deaf.