Thursday, April 15, 2010

New Rules

The NCAA is making some changes to the rules for the 2011 football season, according to ESPN:

1. No more messages on your eye black. I can see where this could have potentially been heading towards trouble, but it does kind of seem like it's a parting shot at Tebow.

2. No wedge blocking on kickoffs. I'm not sure I like this much, but it brings the rules in line with the NFL, so I guess I can't say much against it.

3. Taunting will be assessed as a spot of the foul penalty. High-stepping into the end zone will mean you never get there. I'm warming to the idea, but the NCAA needs to make sure the officials have clear guidelines for what is and isn't taunting. If a major team loses a game because of a cheap taunting call, the fans and media are going to go ballistic.

1 comment:

Ump said...

This could get very interesting. Taunting is so subjective and dangerous if trying to judge without thinking of the scoreboard or what team is involved. The old "call it both ways, ref."

I never thought about the eyeblack thing. Yeah, that could have gotten way out of hand.