Thursday, December 13, 2007

"Real Men"

I think Bobby Petrino handled things badly in accepting the Arkansas job and quitting the Falcons before his first season was complete. I understand why he'd want to go back to college; quite honestly I'm not sure why any coach wants to go to the NFL, besides for the money. But when I read a story at ESPN.com about petrion's departure and the Falcons' reaction, this quote from Lawyer Milloy really irked me: "This league is for real men. I think he realized he didn't belong here."

Real men? You know what I think of most NFL players (and, really, pro athletes in general): They're a bunch of whining, self-centered, self-aggrandizing children with egos the size of dirigibles. They've been fawned over their entire lives because of their athletic abilities and can't stand to be told their wrong. I doubt Milloy has any idea what a true "real man" is. Hint: They look a lot like Tony Dungy.

No comments: