Sunday, July 09, 2006

Detroit's Mt. Rushmore

Terry Foster of the Detroit News has an article today asking: "Who belongs on Detroit's sports Mt. Rushmore?" Listing the requirements as being a current active player on a Detroit team, being popular, having a Hall of Fame caliber career or at least playing on all-star teams, and possibly longevity. His list: Chauncey Billups, Nicklas Lidstrom, Pudge Rodriguez, and Brendan Shanahan. I'd say that's a pretty good list based on those qualifications. Foster's all-time list is Gordie Howe, Al Kaline, boxer Joe Louis, and Isiah Thomas.

I found this article particularly interesting because I have my own "Mt. Rushmore" in my apartment. When I moved and needed some color in my apartment I thought about buying a bunch of 8x10s of Detroit sports heroes. I still think this would be a cool thing to do, but I went with McFarlane figures instead because I thought they made a better display. So my qualifications went like this 1) Had to be available in plastic form from McFarlane, 2) Had to be a sports hero in the state of Michigan, 3) I had to have some affinity for them. The current roster looks like this, from left to right across the shelf:

1. Barry Sanders: No explanation needed here. Barry's the best running back to ever play in the NFL and the most electrifying player who's ever played, forget what they say about Vick.


2. Brett Hull: Even though he wasn't there for back-to-back Stanley Cups like Yzerman or Shanahan, he's still one of the guys I think of when I think of great Wings. Plus, he still won the Cup with the Wings.


3. Steve Yzerman: What can I say about the Captain that hasn't been said. This pose is how I'll always remember him.


4. Brendan Shanahan: He was the key addition that allowed the Wings to win back-to-back Cups, and has been a great player ever since. Probably the most recognizable Wing now that Yzerman has retired.


5. Ben Wallace: This one has come into question a bit in the past week. Still, Wallace has been the face of the Pistons and their return to glory. And who didn't love the 'fro? The one I have is in the white uniform.


That's it for now. Maybe someday soon there will be new faces that qualify or some old ones will be available. Magic Johnson is coming out soon and he might qualify on the strength of his career as a Spartan. Who am I missing? Who would you have?

2 comments:

Ump said...

Isiah? Screw him. It's Joe Duuuuuumars. Then there's Alan Trammell. Now I'm drawing blanks.

Stack said...

I think you're right on Dumars, especially after the job he's done in the front office with the Pistons. Trammell is a great choice too, (though I might be biased since he was my favorite player growing up) even though his time as a manager didn't go so well.