Tuesday, April 12, 2005

The Draft

As promised, or maybe just mentioned, more on the NFL Draft. For reference, you can check Mel Kiper's Big Board (Top 25 Prospects) and Scout.com's Top 125.

As I posted before, the Lions have legitimate needs at OT, WR, DE/OLB, CB, and QB. OT is the biggest hole as they lost a starter to free agency. The others are a bit of a toss-up, with QB probably being the lowest priority. So, who to take? Let's make a list of top prospects at those positions who might reasonably be available at the 10th pick (excluding QB, the Lions aren't using a 1st round pick there).

OT- Alex Barron, the unquestioned top tackle in the draft.

WR- Mike Williams, Troy Williamson, and Matt Jones (just for kicks).

DE/OLB- Derrick Johnson, Dan Cody, Shawne Merriman, Marcus Spears.

CB- Adam "Pac-Man" Jones, Antrel Rolle, Carlos Rogers.

I think this shakes out to 2 possible picks: Alex Barron or Derrick Johnson. I can't imagine the Lions taking a top receiver 3 years in a row with their first pick. The CB position needs depth, but there are 2 solid starters there already. Scouts seem to agree that Barron is nearly a sure-fire tackle prospect and Johnson was probably the best LB in the country last year; he also played for a big-time program. My pick? I know the O-line is important, but I'd hate to see the Lions pass up a talent like Derrick Johnson. However, I think I'd be satisfied with either pick. Now, if they can only figure out a way to draft Matt Jones without overpaying... Comments?

No comments: