Thursday, October 31, 2013

?

Would anyone else feel a lot better if they knew David Ortiz had passed a drug test in the past week? Besides Colin Cowherd I haven't heard anyone mention this, but it seems worth considering. Sports writers like to point out how foolish "we" all were to take McGwire, Sosa, and Bonds at face value just because it was a great story in the moment. Now a 37-year-old hitter, who has been good, even great, but definitely seemed to be declining, starts performing Ruthian feats and no one is suspicious? I want it all to be true, but I've got this nagging feeling that it might not be.

2 comments:

Ump said...

I was just talking to someone yesterday about the same thing. They were also listening to "The Herd" and were suspicious. How does a 37-year old NOT lose bat speed?

Oh, and that same guy batted .100 against the Tigers and then a week later hits .700. Hmmmm...

Stack said...

I think he'd have to be taking something all (or most) of the season, but even against Detroit he came up big. I'd have to check the numbers for the season, but I think they were still pretty good, especially for a guy who didn't have another great hitter in the lineup for protection.

For what it's worth, today I heard about this in multiple places, so after they've used up the World Series as a story it becomes something to talk about.