Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Not "Oldies" 96

Per Adam and I's discussion about "Oldies" 96.1 shutting it down from November 1 to December 26 (probably at 12:01am, not a second later than they had to) so they could play 24 hours of Christmas music, Adam thought it was peculiar that they would go so long with Christmas music. I mean, I love Christmas music, but I can wait until after Thanksgiving, or the first snowfall. After explaining to Adam the commercials the station would play to advertise the station "returning to it's 'classic' music you've come to love" after Christmas, the commercials contained quick clips of music they would be playing. Those clips were not from the 50's or 60's. Adam then figured they must be doing a huge format change.

UPDATE: DING DING DING! Show Adam what he's won!!! Well, for correctly guesing what the company was doing...nothing. Here are just a few of the songs I've noticed are not quiet "oldies."

1. "Footloose" - Kenny Loggins - 1984
2. "Another One Bites the Dust" - Queen - 1980
3. "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" - Queen - 1980
4. "Two Tickets to Paradise" - Eddie Money - 1978

I think I heard the song "Footloose" two times in the first 2 or 3 days of the new format. I knew right away, we weren't listening to oldies anymore.

Now, on all commerical station promos, you never hear the word "oldies." They use the word "Classics." I guess we will no longer reference them as "Oldies 96."

By the way, they do still play songs from the 60's. You still get the loop of Beach Boys, Beatles, etc., but also a higher mix of 70's and 80's (albeit crappy) songs. Except for Queen. They're not crappy.

No comments: