Saturday, March 03, 2007

Movie Parallelism: Part Deux

Well, I've already broke down the action movie playbook between Die Hard and Lethal Weapon, so now I'll look at two other movies 15 years apart in release.

The movies are "Escape From Alcatraz" and "The Shawshank Redemption":

1. Both movies are about escaping from prision. I know, pretty deep observation.

2. Both movies have a leading white character (Eastwood and Robbins) who develop a relationship in the prison with a black character.

3. Each movie had a jerk for a Warden.

4. There was a homosexual that wanted to get some action with the leading character in each film.

5. The main characters in each movie were mostly in prison for life sentences, usually because of murder (Eastwood and Robbins).

6. Each movie had an old guy who was really attached to something. The old guy in Alcatraz loved to paint and when told he couldn't anymore, he chopped off his fingers. The old guy in Shawshank loved his library and didn't want to be released from prision.


I think that's all I could remember. There may be more but I haven't seen either movie in quite awhile. Well, I do own Shawshank, so I could go watch it.

1 comment:

Stack said...

I wonder how many of those things are simply prison movie staples? I imagine the jerk warden and being threatened by a prison homosexual are.