Thursday, March 08, 2007

Cap's Dead

I've been without the internet for a couple of days so I've been pretty much without news. So, imagine my surprise to return to the internet and within 10 minutes discover that Captain America is dead. Apparently it's all over the place, even on CNN. It's not quite the event that it was when Superman died, but it is an awful lot of attention for a less-than-well-known hero. Of course you could go on for hours about the symbolism of gunning down a here that's basically dressed in the American flag, but I'll skip that. Cap's always been high on my list of favorite heroes, so it's a little disturbing to see that he's been killed. It's more annoying that he has a lame death, killed by a sniper's bullet instead of going down fighting, even if the assassination was plotted by his arch-nemesis. I mean, come on, in his first appearance Cap punched Hitler in the face! I'm sure there's some commentary on the state of our culture in here somewhere, but I'm too tired. So, until the (probably) inevitable resurrection, RIP Cap.

No comments: