Wednesday, August 16, 2006

College Vs. NFL

ESPN, looking to boost some interest during the long wait for football, posted a bunch of articles today of a "Which is better?" type comparing NCAA and NFL football. Surprisingly, they didn't charge you to read it, as they try to do with almost anything worthwhile on the site anymore. Anyway, various writers, commentators, and personalities sound off, and of course there's the obligatory SportsNation poll. I looked at one this morning, and some people actually voted that the NFL had a better atmosphere than college games. Have these people ever been to a college game? Oh, only Ferris and Eastern? Well, maybe that explains it. But seriously, the NFL can't touch the atmosphere of big-time college football. Tailgates. Mascots. Huge sellout crowds. Crazy fans. Fight songs. Johnny Spirit (well, only at State I guess). It's electric at Spartan Stadium before kickoff. It's enough to turn even me into a screaming idiot. I don't see how anyone could even remotely compare the atmosphere. When it comes to gameplay, I'll admit that the NFL has better players. But which is more fun to watch? I'll give you just one reason why college ball is better. The option. Need I say more? Am I wrong about all of this?

No comments: