Thursday, August 24, 2006

Awful analysts

A good color commentator or studio analyst can make a huge positive difference in the entertainment value of an NFL game. Bad ones are either a waste of space, or make the game worse. So what commentator got me thinking of this? Tony Siragusa. What a waste of air time. I don't know who on Fox decided Siragusa needed to get more involved in the broadcast, but they should be forced to act as a tackling dummy for Ray Lewis. Just being able to fill the time with words doesn't make you smart or insightful. Being loud isn't a substitute for actual knowledge either, but you wouldn't know it from watching Michael Irvin, probably the worst in-studio analyst ever. I don't think I can watch ESPN's pregame coverage anymore, I just can't stand that guy.

You know what's worse than those two? Local news. The local news here decided it was a good idea to break in at the end of the 1st quarter of the NFL game and show you that we had a thunderstorm this afternoon. And a tornado. I guess the people of the Twin Cities have never seen video of a tornado before. And I thought I was a hick. How can TV stations in Minneapolis be MUCH worse than the Tri-Cities? Anybody?

No comments: