Monday, February 27, 2006

Wonderlicked?

There are rumors floating around that say Vince Young scored a 6 on the Wonderlic test on his first try, but then scored a 16 the second time around. A score of 20 is roughly equivalent to an I of 100, or average intelligence. There are also reports that the initial rumor was false. There are also rumors that Young may fall as far as #7 to the Raiders, though that's pure speculation.

Now, I've taken a Wonderlic test, so I can speak intelligently about it, though I don't know what I scored. You take a fifty-question test in 12 minutes; I'm pretty sure when I took it we were only given ten. Here's some example questions from this FoxSports article, which explains a little about the test:

Look at the row of numbers below. What number should come next?
8
4
2
1
1/2
1/4

In printing an article of 48,000 words, a printer decides to use two sizes of type. Using the larger type, a printed page contains 1,800 words. Using the smaller type, a page contains 2,400 words. The article is allotted 21 full pages in a magazine. How many pages must be in smaller type?


None of these are terribly difficult, but when you're rushing to get through them in the alloted time they are difficult enough. You might also notice that there's nothing football-centric about the questions. Apparently there are some that think the test is culturally-biased. I suppose that might be true, if stupidity is one of your cultural values. Let me clear though: I don't think Young actually scored a 6, unless the test was administered wrong or there were other extenuating circumstances. Mostly, I just think it's amusing how people get so worked up over this test when they have no idea what it is.

2 comments:

Ump said...

Wait, so the "6" he scored on the Wonderlic test is supposed to make me think so much differently about THE GUY who single handedly defeated Michigan and USC in the Rose Bowl.

Thanks

Ump said...

Don't worry Vince, I thought the test was hard too.

Sincerely,

Jessica Sympson
Dexter Manley
what the heck, Ashley Sympson
Keith Russell