Thursday, January 19, 2006

This Time

The Lions ended their search for a coach today, and maybe this time things will work out better. Millen has chosen Rod Marinelli who was the Tampa Bay defensive line and assistant head coach. I can't say I'm terribly excited, but there's not a hire I can think of that would have excited me. Apparently he is expected to be a tough, disciplined coach, as you would expect from a DL guy and a Vietnam veteran. My favorite quote from the press conference:

There’s skill in hitting (in football); how to bend your knees, hand placement, blocking, footwork, all those things. And you have to play this game low to be good. It’s a low man’s game. It’s a game of hips when you tackle, not push and shove. When you’re standing up all the time, you lose that leverage and you lose that toughness in terms of running the game. That’s how I’m going to sell it because I have to explain to them that this is why I’m doing this. This is what I believe and I’ve been successful at it. I’ll put the film on for you. That’s all I can do. You will be great football players when you work and you believe in the pad level and those things. Is it always fun? No, but winning is. It’s not like I am taking these guys to Junction City and getting after them (laughter). I just believe in skill, the development of skill. You have to be hard, and along with being hard is being smart, and I am that.

I can get behind a coach that says "it's a low man's game." Can the Lions?

UPDATE: Here's Albom's take on the new guy.

No comments: