Sunday, January 29, 2006

Highly Recommended: Ong-Bak


I recently restarted my Netflix membership. It's a pretty cheap way to be able to see lots of movies, especially ones that you couldn't find at you local video store. I had remembered reading somewhere, and hearing from my brother, that Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior (trailer here) might be a pretty decent martial arts film, so I put it in my queue. I watched it this weekend. Then I watched it again. The martial arts action is breathtaking. I don't think I've ever seen such an impressive display of physical prowess. Tony Jaa is, quite simply, the man. I guarantee you've never seen anything like it. First, you've probably never seen the martial art of Muay Thai, which looks much different than what you've seen in Matrix clones. It's fast and brutal. Second, as the advertising is fond of pointing out, there are no wires and no CG. This is amazing stuff. Check it out.

No comments: