Saturday, January 14, 2006

Detroit Sports Legends


Who are they? I'm curious as to what other people's opinions are. I'm thinking of just guys who played for Detroit teams, though Michigan sports legends is another interesting question. What do you think a guy has to do to deserve the title? A championship would be a place to start, but you obviously can't leave a guy like Barry off the list. And not every notable player on a championship team would really qualify. Guys who I think probably qualify, not an exhaustive list and in no particular order:

Modern
1. Barry Sanders
2. Steve Yzerman
3. Brendan Shanahan
4. Isiah Thomas
5. Joe Dumars
6. Alan Trammell
7. Kirk Gibson
8. Lou Whitaker
9. Ben Wallace (Might not be there yet.)

Old School
1. Tigers Hall of Famers: Ty Cobb, Al Kaline, Sparky Anderson, etc.
2. Gordie Howe

What do you think? I'm sure I missed people. Are all those guys deserving, or are some of them only great because they helped win a championship?

No comments: