Saturday, July 17, 2010

Big (12) Ten Championship Game Site

Angelique S. Chengelis has a short article in the News discussing venues, Ford Field specifically, that could host the eventual conference championship game. Despite the obvious drawback of being in Detroit, I think Ford Field has proven to be a viable location of major events, but I had a few other thoughts:

-Chengelis thinks it's a no-brainer that the game should be played indoors given that it would be the first week in December. I'm not so sure. I wouldn't want it to always be played at Soldier or Lambeau, but what better way to live up to the conference's reputation for toughness and smash mouth football than playing in freezing temperatures? Show those hothouse flower teams down South how it's done.

-Rotating the game between a few different locations makes sense once you've determined the locations. I don't think I'd want the game to be tied to any particular stadium, even Ford Field.

-The Metrodome shouldn't be an option because the Metrodome sucks. It's not as bad for football, but still... it sucks.

-I'd rather the game not be played on a college field.

1 comment:

Ump said...

My vote:

1. Rotate sites.
2. At least some games outdoors, like Adam's isea, to keep the symbolism of toughness in the Big Ten.
3. Ford Field is obvious top choice.
4. Probably should stay away from college fields.