Thursday, January 12, 2012

Reflections on the College Football Season

-I didn't watch any of the national championship game. As far as I was concerned the season ended on Jan. 2 and I just couldn't bring myself to care about the game.

-I really noticed during bowl season that the sports media seemed to latch on to a narrative and ignored any inconvenient facts that did not match it. Andrew Luck didn't win the Heisman, a national championship, a conference championship, or his bowl game? Not worth mentioning, he's still the best QB ever! MSU (Big Ten) beat Georgia (SEC)? Well, that doesn't really count, I mean it was a 3OT game and since when is kicking really part of football anyway? Again, not worth mentioning, let's talk about how a mediocre Ohio State team got beat instead.

-Despite all the issues with college football, I've never become very disillusioned until this year:
1. The Penn State scandal. 'Nuff said.
2. The $ugar Bowl. Multiple deserving teams (not MSU) were passed over in favor of two teams that the organizers thought would make more money. I get that, but the BCS bowls are supposed to have a higher standard, or at least not be blatantly money-grubbing. The national championship selections through the BCS have been satisfactory to me, but this was rotten and really makes me question the entire system.
3. The polls. I wrote about this before and it bears repeating. The blatant bias a lack of seriousness evident in the polls is appalling, especially considering how important the polls are to the final results of the season. You might as well have fans do the official voting, at least there's enough of us that we'd cancel each other out.

-I think both MSU and UM could be better teams next year and do worse. Wisconsin though is screwed.

-I do think UM was ridiculously overrated, an opinion that, as far as I can tell, everyone who doesn't wear maize and blue or work in sports media seems to share.

-Boise State is going to be a nerve-wracking way for MSU to start the 2012 season.

2 comments:

Ump said...

I don't think UM is too excited about opening with Alabama.

I know many were upset and that Ok. State could have probably at least scored on Alabama. But here is the thing. No matter what format you use to determine the Nat'l Championship, you can't guarantee what we all want to see...a good game. Someone will get crowned, but it could be a boring 4 hours.

Stack said...

Honestly, I'm not sure if I would have had a lot more interest even if OSU was involved. Waiting so long to play the game, and on a work night at that, just kills my enthusiasm. Add to that two SEC teams that I hate and you have a perfect storm of disinterest.

Michigan opens with the Tide? I think I'll really enjoy that.