Friday, January 27, 2012

Ouch

I'm going to have to throw a flag on Spartan AD Mark Hollis for unsportsmanlike conduct, illegal blow to the wallet after the announcement of season ticket price increases. Of course the University would claim the price of most season tickets aren't increasing, they're just adding a mandatory contribution to the Spartan Fund. I don't think my bank account will appreciate the distinction as my tickets are increasing 30%. Or maybe decreasing 100% if I abandon them completely, which seems more and more likely.

I also have to observe that it is pretty galling to read (in the email announcement to season ticket holders): "To reach our ultimate goals, it will take a championship effort from all of our stakeholders: our coaches, administration, alumni and fans." I don't seem to remember anyone apologizing for a less-than championship effort previously, not that this season was technically a "championship effort" either. I certainly resent the insinuation that anyone who doesn't pony up the cash is less than a true Spartan.

2 comments:

Ump said...

Very well said.

Michigan did this about 5 years ago. Thanks for nothing.

Very interesting argument was brought up in the comment section following the article: "Isn't that why the Big Ten has their own network? So they can make more money?!?! Now they are asking to raise ticket prices?

It does make a little sense though; if the ticket cost $50 but people are selling it on Stub Hub for $100, schools are getting screwed. But I don't feel bad for the schools.

Stack said...

An awful lot of the tickets on Stubhub don't go for much over face value if they go over at all. Outside of a few big games the demand isn't there.