Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Coach 'em Up!

With Jack Del Rio getting the axe, I did a little background search on his coaching resume. While doing that, I ran across Mike Tomlin and John Harbaugh. One would think they have a clear progression up the coaching tree. Basically Tomlin was a Defensive Backs guru and Harbaugh was a special teams guy. Then bam, all of a sudden they apply for a head coaching gig and are tearing it up. They aren't even former players of "The Shield." Obviously there is no set criteria for determining what will make a great coach and what will make a loser. The ingrediants are different for all of them. Why one succeeds and another fails usually comes down to the groceries, but how do you explain Jim Harbaugh and Brady Hoke in their first year success?

1 comment:

Stack said...

I think a huge part is getting players to play, but how that actually works is a big mystery. I don't know much about the 49ers, but I'd say a big part of Hoke's success is that UM wasn't as bad as their record, though they certainly played as bad as their record. I'd also say they aren't as good as their record this year, but that's a different discussion.