Saturday, September 11, 2010

Two Thoughts

1. Why does everyone play such soft coverage in the waning minutes of the fourth quarter when up by less than a TD? ND against UM is a perfect example. ND had held UM scoreless for seven consecutive possessions. So with a little over three minutes left and up by four they back off UM's receivers and let them march down to the red zone and eventually score the winning touchdown. Obviously Denard Robinson was playing well, but he didn't have to stretch himself much to hit WRs who have five yards (or more) of space around them. But everyone does this. I wish I had some numbers to work with, but I'm sure that approach greatly increases the likelihood of the opposing team scoring versus playing straight defense (based on many hours of observation). So why do it?

2. I get that being a color commentator can be a challenging job, and it's easy to talk about star players, but I think these guys are getting out of hand. Yes, Denard Robinson is making big plays. Yes, Terrelle Pryor is good. I get it. I'm watching the game, I can see the guys playing. No need to sound like you're running down to the locker room after the game to get a signed jersey. Is that too much to ask of a professional?

3 comments:

Ump said...

Agree on point #1. The old, playing not to lose defensive approach. I guess they are just trying to prevent "the big play?" And by "they" I mean teams winning by less than a TD in the final minutes.

Side note: If Crist had been playing the entire game, ND wins.

#2: I'm just surprised the ND...errrrr...NBC commentators give that much lovin' to UM.

Big Daddy said...

1.) Absolutely if Crist was playing the whole game it would have been an entirely different game and a ND win, maybe a blowout.

2.) While it is to early to tell just how good Michigan is/will be (after all they did start out well last year only to end up tanking it), it certainly sounds as if Sparty has a some concern in his voice.

Stack said...

Point #2 was pretty obvious with Denard Robinson, but it was happening in other games this week and last as well. I think it's a problem across the board rather than with just one guy.

While I admit to not being excited about UM showing a pulse, I wouldn't say I'm worried yet. I am really curious to see how they do in Big Ten play. The team is going to lean very heavily on Robinson, who's improved tremendously, but that's an awful lot of touches for one guy.

Good to hear UM fans have a little bit of perspective about their start, 'cuz ESPN sure doesn't.