Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Thoughts from Saturday

A few thoughts, observations, and anecdotes from Saturday's MSU-ND game (yeah, I know it's late):

-There was a drunk student in my seat. Not a little drunk, completely blitzed. I don't think he really knew where he was, or even his name. Security did eventually get him to move. I just wanted to make sure I didn't end up standing in vomit all night.

-Joe Montana was sitting a few rows down across the aisle. Lots of people were trying to snap pictures, but as far as I could tell everyone left him alone. I have no idea why he didn't have better seats.

-MSU's secondary is awful. Horrendous. And ND seems to be the only team that can figure that out and keep throwing the ball.

-I expected the game to pick up in the second half after little scoring in the first half.

-Cousins needs to stop showing flashes of being a great QB and just be one. The inconsistency is really frustrating.

-I think both Edwin Baker and Le'Veon Bell are the real deal.

-I expected MSU to blow the game late in the 4th and again in OT. So did most of the MSU fans. Probably the Domers too.

-No one saw the fake coming. Everyone started screaming then praying Gantt wouldn't drop the pass because he was so wide open.

-The look on the Domers' faces after that TD was priceless. I wouldn't even call it shock, it was more like they couldn't even comprehend what had happened.

-I didn't hear that anyone was questioning the clock until Monday. As far as I can tell no one in the stadium though there was any issue, including the Domers.

-3am is late to get in from a football game.

2 comments:

Ump said...

1. Yes, Baker and Bell seem pretty good.

2. 3am? How far away from campus does she live? You must have been partying pretty hard with that drunk in your seat. Where'd you go?

3. "...standing in vomit..." Nice visual.

4. I don't remember, but I've watched a few college football games on TV and generally understand the play clock and all the graphics they put on the screen. (I think they include everything but how many pounds of water weight each team has lost in the game on the graphic.) Anyway, I don't recall seeing a time issue. Nor did I hear anything about it until at least two days later. In fact, I still haven't read anything or seen anything to prove one way or the other.

Really though, I thought "Spartan Bob" screwed MSU on a few seconds late in the game but then the referee had him reset the clock.

5. Okay, after seeing the game and "the play," it has sunk in a little. I don't think it's so "gutsy" as some have said. Think about it. The "gutsy" call would have been to kick the FG. They didn't have a snowball's chance in Miami of making that kick from 46 yards. I'm not saying I knew he would fake the kick or that it was obvious they would try something. I'm just saying it would take more guts to trust a college kicker (come on, have you seen Michigan's "kicker?") to tie the game on national TV against ND than to go for the fake.

Great call, but not "gutsy."

Stack said...

A point that Wojo made, and I think is accurate, is that Dantonio wasn't sure about his kicker so he set himself up to take the fall instead of the kid. I think it takes some guts to make a call that could endanger your job if wrong instead of throwing a kid under the bus.