Monday, March 16, 2009

Going Down

The other day when I was talking to my dad we both wondered what happened to Alabama tackle Andre Smith. He had been projected as the potential first pick in the draft, but had since disappeared from draft boards. Well, I just found the answer. Smith left the combine and planned to make up for it at his Pro Day. There he only managed to do 19 reps of 225 lbs.

.
..
...

Wow. That's amazing. In my prime as a below-average small-school varsity lineman I could have done 19 reps of 225. I believe that workout numbers are overrated, but this is ridiculous. You expect a #1 pick offensive lineman to be the Incredible Hulk, not Dazzler.

Just to be clear, for the less comically-inclined, this is Dazzler:

2 comments:

Ump said...

Thanks for the pic...I'm the "less comicaly-inclined."

But, to your post. Jim Rome did a great take about a month ago (whenever the combine was taking place.) The USC kicker, yeah, the kicker, was able to put up 225 lbs 23 or 25 times (I can't remember which). Anyway, that beat many, many big name linebackers and other "top picks."

Rome also did a great take on Andre Smith leaving the combine.

Stack said...

I assumed this story was right in Rome's wheelhouse. The take pretty much writes itself.