Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Now for the rest of the story

So I was picking up a supply for the Village at Fairway Discount. While waiting at the counter, I noticed this weeks Chronicle so I peeked at a couple of pages. I noticed I recognized someone who had their engagement picture in the paper. It was Dan Curtis. I just saw him yesterday at the Dealership because he is the GM there. (Side Note: I think he graduated close to my year from Caro.) So I read about the couple in the picture. His fiancé is Laura Price. Big deal. But I kept reading and she is the band director for Deckerville. But that's not the stumper. I kept reading and it said they met on e-Harmony.

Look, e-Harmony = losers. You can't find your life partner by going down the store isle picking out the exact one based on your needs. This isn't shopping. If I need a car, I look for the color, price, year, size, etc. until I find the one I want. Your partner isn't on ebay where you can refine your search: Girl = Blond = Blue eyes = Athletic = Age 20-25 = College Degree = Lives within 75 miles = Christian = etc... "You Have 7 items matching your search." It may work at Best Buy if you are looking for a specific kind of computer. But you won't find your partner on some shelf based on your specifications. "Yup, that's the one. Perfect. She has 250 GB of storage space! Oh, it says here she likes euchre. All right!"

If you meet that person and after a little while realize they weren't what you expected/wanted, then you are basically saying e-Harmony doesn't work and if e-Harmony doesn't work and it's programed to find the perfect match for you and this person wasn't, then there must not be anyone out there for you. Because, gee, if a computer can't find her, how will you ever find that person?

This has been Paul Harvey. Good day.

3 comments:

andy said...

Uhm...you're full of crap. A good friend of mine from college is getting married next summer, they met on eharmony. Its a way to meet people and do some screening without awkwardness. Obviously no personality test/match is going to be perect, but out of x results, y will be noteworthy.

Ump said...

I guess I need to state my point differently. Obviously those services are useful for certain people. People who are shy, stuck in a work place with no one of the opposite sex, stuck in a setting with no one inside 10 years of their age bracket, etc. Also, people who aren't plugged into some kind of social setting, i.e. church, fitness center, etc. Those type of people absolutely need that service in order to meet someone. It's not their fault because of the circumstances they are in.

But if you're just lazy, then you're a loser. Man up. Go talk to them! Obviously eHarmony services get you to meet people, that's why it's a good service, but it doesn't do the talking for you. Gonna have to do it at some point.

My post wasn't slanted to stereotype everyone. It was geared more towards these individuals because I somewhat knew them.

Stack said...

Yeah, you weren't very clear. It's not something I would use, but I think it's probably the best thing out there as far as online matchmaking. And once you're out of college, who really wants to put up with all the crap? Not everyone has women throwing themselves at us like Ump. Again, not my thing, but I certainly wouldn't laugh at someone who used it.