Monday, September 25, 2017

Taking A Knee

I hadn't really followed the commentary around Trump's tweeting about NFL protests last week and I was out of town for part of Sunday so it wasn't until shortly before the Sunday night game that I was somewhat caught up on what was going on. I did turn the game on, but after seeing so many of the Raiders and a few Redskins kneeling I walked out of the room. I turned it off a few minutes later, though part of that was due to audio issues they were having with the broadcast. Still, I have to say that while I've disliked the anthem protests all along, this Sunday made a difference. The league decided to get behind these players and for the first time I find myself disliking the league as a whole, not just some of the players. I'm not sure I'm ready to quit but I'm actually finding myself thinking about it. I have to think there are other fans thinking the same, especially since NFL fans tend to skew Republican, and turn out to vote. Alejandro Villenueva, NFL lineman and U.S. Army veteran, the only Steeler to stand outside the tunnel for the anthem, has the best-selling jersey in the last 24 hours. I'd buy a shirt myself but the money would just go to the NFL. Anyway, this could turn out bad for the NFL and for once I'm rooting against them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is really getting interesting. This is a mess. Not sure how this is going to end, but probably badly. I think there has to be a better or different way they can use their platform to protest something. Press conference, etc. Hats off to Alejandro Villenueva. That had to be a tough decision, since HC Mike Tomlin was quoted as saying "I was hoping for 100% support."

Yes, professional athletes are basically celebrities and are figuring out how to use their platform to send certain messages. I'm just not sure that it makes it right. What are they actually doing about it? Are they actually taking action to get something done? Doing something in their communities?

I'm considered a professional in my field. Would it be appropriate for me to do something like this? Because I have a platform that can inspire/motivate/brainwash, etc. 200 students on a daily basis? I think that would be frowned upon.

Ump