Saturday, July 23, 2016

How far is too far?

I've been asking myself this since the news came out earlier in the week that there have been discussions about eliminating the kickoff in college football. So far I've been supportive of most of the changes made in the name of player safety, largely because I think a lot of the things that have been eliminated are the result of bad fundamental football to begin with and the game is still essentially the same. Eliminating the kickoff is the sort of change that makes me wonder how far you can go before it's not really same sport anymore, or more importantly, will I still want to watch?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is definitely starting to get sticky. I agree with your post that the changes made so far are good for safety and it's not changing the game. I have no problem completely eliminating kick offs and punts at the sub-varsity level and below. I could get rid of the punt return part for high school or some modification. I think punting needs to still be part of the game. I think kick offs and onside kicks need to be there for sure at the college and pro level.

Ump