Friday, January 08, 2016

It begins.

The Lions have a new general manager, Bob Quinn, formerly director of scouting for the New England Patriots. I suppose bringing in someone from such a respected franchise should be encouraging but I find myself wary. First, I think the success of Tom Brady and, to a lesser extent, Julian Edelman gives an inflated impression of the Patriots' drafting prowess. Here's the history. Obviously they have their fair share of hits but I'm not sure the overall record is quite as impressive as people would think. Second, Bill Belichick is the only one who's been able to make the Patriots system work. So far none of his assistants or former executives from the organization have been able to replicate anything near the success he has had. What do you think the chances are that the Lions are the ones who learn all the right lessons?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://www.michigansthumb.com/sports/article_5157b1f6-bb93-11e5-be03-fb2cac6aeba6.html

Well, one more year. I wonder how that impacts Megatron's decision? If they hired a new coach, would that make 4 coaches in CJ's career? If I'm going to have a 4th new coach, I'm going to a new franchise my final years to win a title.

Ump