Saturday, May 02, 2015

Thoughts on Age of Ultron


Some thoughts on Age of Ultron, I'll add to it after a second viewing as I was doing a lot of analyzing and not enough watching the first time around:

-I didn't stay all the way to the end to confirm, but everything I've read says there is no post-credits scene, only a mid-credit scene, so no need to hang around through everything. After the purple guy you're good to go.

-It will be a bit before I'm sure on my ranking, but as of right now I'd put this slightly below my top tier of Marvel films (GotG, Winter Soldier, Avengers). I might revise that up. The main challenge for this movie are giant expectations; even if it's great it can still fall short.

-I like Ultron and think he's the best MCU villain since Loki. They went to great lengths to make his robot face expressive which works well considering he has much more personality than you might expect from a robot. I just wish there was more of him, which is a common complaint for the movie as a whole.

-The dynamic of the team together makes the movie. They come across as seasoned pros who are completely confident in one another and comfortable together. I could probably watch an entire movie of Avengers down time.

-Hawkeye is great in the movie and makes up for his lack of time in Avengers. There are some revelations about him that are surprising.

-There's a Banner-Romanoff thing going on that I'm not sure about. As dumb as it sounds, I think it mostly bugs me because she was wearing a Hawkeye necklace in Winter Soldier.

-Vision is terrific, though it is weird to hear the voice coming from an actual actor. The scene that convinces the Avengers to trust him is really clever and got a great reaction from the crowd.

-I didn't expect the guy who refused to launch the helicarriers in Winter Soldier to show up again, but there he is. Good for him.

-I thought the music let the movie down a bit. There were a few scenes that I thought really called for the Avengers theme to be strong and loud and it wasn't really there.

-Hulk vs. Hulkbuster is cool, though some of the impact is taken away because so much of the fight has been in trailers. That true of a lot of the cool scenes.

-I've seen some people complain about too much CG in this movie. I'm not sure how you do it without a lot of CG, but there are a few issues. There's definitely some dodgy CG in the opening scene. The action is probably the least clear of any of the MCU movies so many times you don't get to really appreciate what's going on.

-No one likes change, but the last scene of the movie did get me excited for whatever happens next.

A few more thoughts after a second viewing:

-The action seemed a little bit clearer than the first time, though the theater was so full I practically had my nose pressed to the screen so I guess some small details were bigger.

-Again, I really love Hawkeye in this movie. "No one would know..." is one of my favorite bits of the whole film. I do wish he had a dog at the farm though, as in the current comic:

-I think the humor in this movie is just about right, maybe overdone slightly.

-Nice to see a green tractor in the movie.

-I often don't care much for the audience at a movie but the one today was pretty good. The audible gasp in the theater during the scene with the Vision that I mentioned earlier was cool.

-Now I can say the film goes in the top tier of Marvel films for me. It's not quite at the top, but it does feel like the arrow is pointing upwards.

No comments: