Sunday, March 02, 2014

"I Heard Things"



Warning: Viewer discretion is advised. Language

I recently watched "Raging Bull" on Netflix. I had never seen it before and it was one of those movies that is usually in a top list of all-time sports movies, so I thought I'd put it to the test. Over-rated. I didn't get it. I didn't really know anything about the movie other than it was sports related, possibly boxing, and starred Robert De Niro.

Something else I hadn't paid attention to but started to wonder in the first five minutes of the movie was the director. With that many "F" bombs and that old of a movie, there could be only one possible director: Martin Scorsese. I was immediately turned off. I've seen enough (and that's not a lot) Scorsese films to know he loves using it as much as possible.

I watched the entire movie but didn't find it to be anything special. It did, however, help me better understand the SNL sketch "The Joe Pesci Show" from Season 22 (I couldn't find a clip). De Niro and Pesci make cameo appearances and De Niro keeps saying "I heard things." I realized it was probably some movie line, but at the time didn't know the reference.

Now I know...and now I want two hours of my life back.

1 comment:

Stack said...

I haven't watched it either, which seems like a glaring oversight even if it might not be great. I do remember the skit though.