Saturday, February 01, 2014

A Thought on Officiating

I saw something earlier this week that made me stop and think for a moment, though unfortunately now I can't remember where it was and give proper credit. Anyway, responding to the usual comments about letting "the players decide the game" it was noted that apparently the Super Bowl is so important that we can't afford not to let the players cheat. That's certainly a different take than we usually hear, but I think I agree. If the rules are important enough to put in place then they're important enough to count in every game. Why should pass interference (offensive or defensive) be okay just because it's the Super Bowl?

1 comment:

Ump said...

In regards to the big topic you are referencing, I can see that being a HUGE concern for both teams, but more so for Seattle. If they (the officials) give Manning all the calls, Seattle is in trouble covering all those receivers. But if they "let them play," advantage goes to Richard Sherman.

"If it's a foul in the first minute of the game, then it should be a foul in the last minute when it's tied."