Monday, May 09, 2011

RE: Thor

A few thoughts of my own:

-I liked it quite a bit myself, not sure exactly where it ranks against the other Marvel Studios films. Ahead of Hulk anyway.

-I was surprised that the movie managed to be funny without being cheesy. I was worried it would slip up in this department, but it managed to not get stupid.

-Ump, what did you think of the costumes? I thought they came out well on screen when they could have looked pretty goofy, but I'm more tolerant of that sort of thing than the average viewer.

-I'd heard it was doing fairly well with women, so it's nice to hear some confirmation of that. I actually thought it needed about two more scenes on Earth to flesh the relationship angle and I wouldn't have minded that at all. Maybe I just wanted more Natalie Portman.

-I think Hemsworth is going to be a star. He seemed to carry the film without any trouble. Also, having good actors makes a huge difference. Anthony Hopkins was great as Odin.

-Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye, the guy with the bow, got me psyched for Avengers. I really hope they get him some screen time, which is going to be tough with Iron Man, Cap, and Thor.

-The device at the end was almost certainly the cosmic cube. It gives anyone who holds it the power to turn their thoughts into reality. It's sometimes possessed and often pursued by Captain America villain the Red Skull. I'd be surprised if it didn't show up in Captain America. I also think it's practically guaranteed that Loki and the cube will either be or cause the main threat in Avengers. Loki was the villain in The Avengers #1 way back in 1963.

3 comments:

Ump said...

I agree on the humor in the movie. I didn't want it to turn into a comic book movie for kids. I guess I'm used to "Iron Man' being funny because of Downey, Jr's. arrogance. I'm also used to "Batman" NOT being funny because of the darker themes. So, I also cringed when it could have gotten more cheesy.

Guess I'm not a costume historian, but I didn't find them goofy. Then again, they are from a different realm.

It's hard for me to look at Hemsworth and NOT see Heath Ledger.

Jeremy Renner, the guy with the bow...didn't catch that. I probably wasn't paying attention if they called him "Hawkeye."

So, what is the speculation on how Thor gets back to Earth to join the Avengers? Just some simple portal, no big deal?

Stack said...

I don't think they actually called the character Hawkeye, and he isn't in the credits, so if you didn't already know who he was playing it was pretty easy to miss.

I haven't heard much about how Thor might show up, I assume it's going to be something like: "Uh, we fixed Bifrost."

Ump said...

"Uh, we fixed Bifrost." - Classic

You also made another thought/comment on the movie, and in my bachelorhood...cough...ummm...I'd probably have a comment on...that. Cough.