Friday, February 05, 2010

Victory for MSU

MSU Athletic Director Mark Hollis released a statement today with this key passage:

Our identity and branding process is nearing completion and is on schedule for a complete rollout in April. The elements and applications of the brand design will be unveiled collectively at that time. After careful consideration, we will use the current Spartan logo design, first used in the late 1970s, to build our visual brand identity. Using sound branding principles, the university will continue to register some variations of our Spartan logo in order to ensure that this symbol is well protected and firmly associated with Michigan State University. As an athletic department, we are excited about our branding and identity process. We understand, given the tremendous exposure we bring to the university, that our work is an important part of Michigan State's overall university brand. As we go forward, we will ensure that elements of the athletics visual brand identity align with and support the university brand.

That's good news. I've been hard on Hollis through this controversy, but I'll give him credit for making the right decision in the end, and making sure to respond to the fans. I received this statement in an email reply to my original message which said I'd cancel my season tickets if the logo changed. I don't know how much work that ended up being for who, but it made me feel like my opinion mattered. Now if we could get something like an apology from Izzo this whole thing could fade away.

1 comment:

Ump said...

Well, on Friday, Jan. 22, I said I would not be shocked at all if they changed it back.

I was correct.

Hollis could have shortened his statement and just said, "We were idiots so we changed it back."