Thursday, November 12, 2009

Helmetless

There's an interesting article in the WSJ today about the possibility of reducing concussions by eliminating the traditional football helmet.

While it's not as crazy as it sounds, I can't believe it would actually happen. Improving helmets and tackling fundamentals would seem to much more palatable to me, and more likely to be implemented. Not to mention the whole thing reeks of the obsession with safety that has infected our culture. For example, one commenter on the article claims that you can't play football for any length of time without suffering a concussion. Really? I don't have any data to back this up, but I'd be shocked if more than 5% of young men playing football suffer a serious head injury. My gut says it's probably less than 1% of the millions that play.

No comments: