Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Billy's Going Back To School

Well, I'm back in school. Big ol' Delta College. I enrolled in Calculus, after disappearing from math since I graduated high school (7 years?). Keep in mind, that was my senior year, and Guza didn't push us too much. So, mentally I've been away from Math more like 8 years 'cuz Guza didn't teach. In fact, every day was "group work" and I never really caught on to Calc anyway. So, it's no surprise that I'm a little behind, not to mention I missed my first two calc classes while in Colorado camping/hiking. After attending my first class (3rd class scheduled), I dropped it like a bad habit...then quickly transfered to Pre-Calc which is the exact same nights and times as the Calc class. Go figure. Now I've only missed 3 pre-calc classes and behind on a few assignments. But I made it to the 4th schedule pre-calc class last night and I'm doing alright I think. Maybe it helps that I have a calculator that I can follow along in class with. You see, my superior Ti-86 is apparently inferior to the Ti-83, Ti-83 Plus, and Ti-84. Well, it's really not inferior, they just choose to use those ones instead. The 86 would work just fine, but I have barely used my calculator that it takes me forever to figure out how to do what the instructor did on his 83 because I've barely used my 86. It can do the same stuff, but you have different setting and buttons to push to accomplish it. I don't have time to not only learn freakin' pre-Calc, but a 300 page manual on how to use my 86. So what did I do? Called Kevin, of course, and stole his Ti-83 Plus. Actually I traded my 86 for his 83.

It's hard for me to sit in class and not think "what would Guza say." I think I'll like my instructor. We were using the calulators last night and going back and forth from the "y=" screen to the main screen. He told us to press "2nd", "Quit" to clear the screen and get back to the main screen. However, a collegue had difficulty with that:

Classmate: "My screen didn't clear when you told me to do that."
Instructor: "We can use a hammer."

(I think when he said that I was the only one paying attention or heard him, because no one else chuckled.)

Oh, if only I could remember more Guza-isms. If anyone would like to help build a library of Guza-isms so I can shout them out in class at random times, I'd appreciate it. Or, if we could build a list of the inverse of Guza-isms, that'd be great too. For example:

Mr. Guza: "What do you do when you see one like #26?
Adam: "Close the book."

Let's start a list.

2 comments:

Stack said...

I'll have to think. Right off the top of my head: "Story problems." (In scary voice)

Anonymous said...

Glowing technicolor. Tricky text book people.