Saturday, April 01, 2006

Thoughts from the Week

There's been a couple things I wanted to comment on this week, but didn't take the time. Here they are now:

- Something awful happened this week; I agreed with the hatable Dan LeBatard. He made the comment "I like women, I like sports, but I don't like women's sports." Wilbon ripped him for it. I wholeheartedly agree. I'm glad there are women's sports, but I'm not interested. I also find it really frustrating when people try to guilt you into watching, or call you sexist if you don't. I skip the WNBA for the same reason I skip MLS: I just don't care. End of story.

- Jim Boeheim thinks the NCAA tourney field should be expanded. Boeheim's a great coach, but this is a stupid idea. Really. Obviously there would be huge logistical concerns. And there would still be teams left out, let's not kid ourselves about that. But those are side issues. Boeheim's main argument is that the success of mid-majors this year shows there are many teams out there who could win games in the tournament. He also noted on PTI that it's been a long time since teams have been added. Well, it hasn't been that long since an extra team has been added, but whatever. Time isn't much of an argument, so let's throw that out. So let's hit the main point, which revolves around George Mason's success, and a lack of understanding of how tournaments work. Was George Mason a Final 4 team most of the season? No, they really weren't that great. But they got real hot at the right time. Which demonstrates the primary characteristic of a tournament: it's not the best team that wins. This is especially true in basketball where the 3-pt shot is such an equalizer and one bad shooting night means doom. The Spartans should have beat George Mason in the first round, but they have one of the most lifeless and uninspired performances ever. Do you really think GM is better than Duke? We've decided a tournament is a fair way to determine the champion, but all it really determines is the survivor. Finally, do you really wanted to fill out more blanks in your bracket?

- I'm watching the 1988 #1 Notre Dame vs. #2 USC game on ESPN Classic. This is the kind of thing ESPN Classic should exist for, not all their stupid filler shows. It's refreshing to hear Griese and Jackson together, and not to hear from sideline reporters every 2 minutes. I'm convinced whoever sets up a system to allow complete college football games on-demand will make a mint, but apparently entertainment companies don't agree with me.

2 comments:

Stack said...

Geez, that was really long.

Ump said...

Hey, I'm all about making some coin. Let's get that college football system goin'!!!